- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Cut your eggplant into ¼ inch rounds with the skin on, sprinkle with salt on both sides and place in a colander for 10 mins. After 10 mins, rinse with water and press dry between two towels.
- Slice two large onions or 4-6 small onions. Mince three cloves of garlic.
- Arrange eggplant rounds on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice until eggplant is soft and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Whilst the eggplant is roasting, caramelise the onions on a slow heat with olive oil. Add minced garlic in the last new minutes. Set aside.
- Peel away the skin of the eggplant (if a little is left that’s OK) and add flesh to a mixing bowl. It should be soft and tender. Add onion-garlic mixture and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- OPTIONAL: Add 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt and stir once more – this makes the dip ultra creamy, but is not necessary if vegan or dairy intolerant.
- Serve immediately with crackers, bread or assorted veggies. Best when eaten fresh, but will keep in the fridge covered for a couple days.
- Enjoy and congratulate yourself for nourishing yourself so well!