This is a fantastic warm salad, packed with protein and fibre to accompany roast or bbq meats.
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 2 bacon rashers, chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed, well
- 250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1⁄2 cup fresh herb of choice (basil, coriander, parsley)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan; add the onion, bacon and garlic. Cook stirring, until the bacon is browned and the onion is soft.
Add wine, cook until the wine is almost evaporated.
Add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to boil. Once boiling, add lentils. Bring to the boil again, then simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from heat, add the tomatoes, herbs and salt and pepper to taste; stir gently to combine.