FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. SAUTÉED GREEN BEANS & TOMATO
- 300g green beans, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- punnet halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 fresh basil leaves
Place beans and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet; stir in the sugar, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes; saute until tender. Drain beans; top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil.
2. CELERY TABOULLI
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/4 cup za'atar
- 75 cups boiling water
- Juice and zest of 1 to 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Inner stalks of celery (including stalks with with leaves), finely chopped
- 1 spring onion
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- plain greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
In a large bowl, stir za’atar into bulgur wheat and pour boiling water over the mixture. Let sit until the water is completely absorbed, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, zest and juice your lemon, chop your parsley, onions and celery, toast your walnuts.
When the wheat has absorbed all the water and cooled to room temperature, stir in zest and juice of one lemon (you might add more later) and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in chopped parsley, onions, and celery and stir well. Taste. Add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust the rest of the seasoning to your taste.
To serve, scoop the tabouli onto a plate and add a tablespoon or so of plain yogurt. Sprinkle the yogurt with a tablespoon of the chopped walnuts.
Serve as a side dish with any protein.
3. ZUCCHINI & SALMON PATTIES
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 415g tin pink salmon, well drained and roughly broken
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour (of choice)
- seasoning as required
- olive oil for pan frying
Squeeze the excess water out of the grated zucchini to ensure the patties will be dry and won’t fall apart.
Place the grated zucchini in a bowl with the salmon, flour, lemon zest and eggs. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix together well. Divide the mixture into six portions and shape each one into a patty.
Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry half the patties over medium heat until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the patties from the pan and keep warm while cooking the remaining patties.
4. ROASTED BROCCOLI WITH CHILLI, GARLIC & PARMESAN
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped into large chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bird's eye chilli, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
Heat your oven to 220C.
Toss the broccoli in the oil, chilli and garlic and season well with salt and black pepper.
Spread out in a single layer on a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the broccoli is charred and tender.
Transfer to a plate and scatter with the parmesan. (You can also bake the broccoli with the parmesan if you prefer.)
5. PUMPKIN SAVOURY PANCAKES
Serves 4 (makes 8 pancakes)
- 1 cupchickpea flour (besan)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup thinly shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup soda water
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt to taste
- 2-4 tablespoonsoil to cook pancakes
Combine all ingredients in a bowl except for soda water. Pour the soda water in and mix well until all combined. Add more soda water if it is too thick.
Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the batter for each pancake. Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and then flip carefully to cook the other side.
Repeat with the remainder of the batter and serve immediately.
Lovely served with a relish.