FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin.
1. HERBED SUMMER SQUASH & POTATO TORTE
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 5 teaspoons salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 700 g potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 300g yellow squash, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Toss green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Layer 1/6 of potatoes in circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat two more layers, finishing up with 1/6 of the cheese mixture and press gently to flatten.
Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.
Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer.
2. CUCUMBER & CHERRY TOMATO SALAD
Preheat oven to 180°C. Place tomatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, season, and roast 5-6 minutes until starting to wilt.
Meanwhile, blanch beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes until tender. Drain, refresh and pat dry.
Combine vinegar and remaining oil in a bowl. Season. Add tomatoes and any tray juices, beans and nuts and toss well.
A really nice refreshing salad to have with fish.
3. BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH MUSHROOMS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tablespoon seasoning of choice (or see below for a recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
To make the seasoning, combine all the ingredients in a glass jar and mix well. This can be stored in a dry cupboard for 6 months.
Set a 10-inch, straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil.
Season the chicken thighs with the seasoning mix, salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side down in the pan and sear until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and sear on the second side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the butter and mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook, stirring often to make a light brown roux, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stock and rosemary to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side down and cook the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until the meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.
4. BROCCOLI PIZZA CRUST
- 1 small-medium broccoli head, stem removed
- 2 medium/large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- **Optional: ⅓ - ½ cup all purpose flour, gluten free if preferred, adding in a little at a time if needed to help bind mixture together.
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- vegetables of choice
- sprinkle sea salt
Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a large baking tray or round pizza tray with parchment paper or a sprinkling of flour. Set aside.
Roughly chop broccoli into smaller chunks. Add to a high speed food processor, blend on high until broccoli resembles crumb. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Add eggs, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, mix until well combined.
Pour mixture onto prepared base, gently spread it out with the back of a spoon until desired size and thickness, approx.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden and the edges have begun to crisp up.
Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
Add toppings and any other desired toppings to the pizza base. Sprinkle over Himalayan pink salt to taste.
Return to oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until toppings are cooked and cheese has completely melted.
Remove, slice and serve immediately!
5. CHILLED CARROT AND HAZELNUT SOUP
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 500g carrots, coarsely chopped
- 100g roasted hazelnuts, plus extra, coarsely chopped, to serve
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and mint, and extra-virgin olive oil (to serve)
Process stock, carrots, hazelnuts, onion, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar in a blender until very smooth, season generously to taste and refrigerate until chilled (30 minutes).
To serve, scatter with herbs and extra hazelnuts, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.