FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. HONEY LEMON CHICKEN AND GREEN BEANS
Note: chicken needs to be marinated for a minimum of 30 mins.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- Honey Lemon Sauce (see below)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Juice and zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup honey (or more/less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch / arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Combine the chicken, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a large zip-top bag, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. (If no time to marinate, just toss the chicken, soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit while you prep the rest of the recipe).
In a small bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients together until combined. Set aside.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add green beans and season with a pinch of salt. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, until beans are bright green but still crisp. Transfer to a large plate or bowl and set aside.
Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the chicken from the bag into the hot pan. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink, stirring and turning the chicken occasionally for even browning. Using a slotted spoon, add the chicken to the plate with the green beans.
Pour the whisked honey lemon sauce into the empty saute pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce reaches a low boil and thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking (salt, pepper, honey, lemon).
Add the chicken and green beans back into the pan and toss until evenly coated with the sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Can be served over steamed rice, or on it’s own.
2. PASTA WITH CHARGRILLED VEGETABLE SUMMER SALAD
- 3 cups dried spiral pasta, uncooked
- 3 large corn cobs, husks and silk removed
- 2 capsicums, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Cook the pasta as required, drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat a chargrill or bbq on high. Place corn, capsicum and onion in a bowl. Drizzle with oil. Cook the corn for 10 minutes, turning until browned. Cook the capsicum and onion for 5 minutes. Place the capsicum in a snap-lock bag. Set aside for 5 minutes. Peel and discard skins. Thickly slice.
Cut the kernels from cobs, add to the pasta together with the capsicum, onion, coriander, lime juice and chilli if using. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
3. ASIAN ROLL LETTUCE WRAP
- 450g chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- lettuce leaves
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced red capsicum
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, mix together minced chicken, 1 tablespoon tamari, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 2 teaspoons ginger. Form into 16 or so meatballs and roll into ovals. Cover and refrigerate.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Preheat the grill. Arrange rice, lettuce leaves, carrots, and red peppers onto a serving platter or place each into a small bowl. In a medium bowl, mix together 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, and sugar. Divide into 4 small dipping bowls.
Grill the meatballs for 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides.
To eat, place a leaf of lettuce onto the palm of your hand, spoon on a little rice, then a meat ball, and a few of the vegetables. Roll up and dip in dipping sauce or spoon sauce over.
4. CORN QUESADILLAS
- 1 cup raw corn kernals
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small tortillas
- shredded cheddar
Heat a pan on medium heat with olive oil and cook the corn, zucchini and onion until soft. Add the cumin and cook for a further couple of minutes.
Heat a sandwich press. Spread the vegetable mix on the tortillas. Top with the shredded cheddar, fold in half and cook until browned and crispy.
5. SUMAC-CRUSTED TUNA WITH A CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 4 x 180g tuna steaks
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup torn fresh mint
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 80g marinated goat's cheese, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus wedges to serve
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pomegranate molasses (optional)
Combine dried herbs and spices in a bowl. Brush tuna with oil and season with salt, then coat with the sumac mixture. Set aside.
Place cucumber in a bowl with mint, coriander, almonds and goat's cheese. Add lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil, then season and toss to combine. Set aside.
(Optional step) Combine cannellini beans with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat to warm through.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat and cook tuna for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until seared but still rare in the middle.
Divide bean mixture among 4 plates and place tuna on top. Drizzle over remaining 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses and serve with lemon wedges.