FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. PUMPKIN & SALMON PATTIES
Makes 10 patties
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin
- 420g tinned wild salmon, drained and bones removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line tray with baking paper.
Mix all ingredients together. With slightly wet hands, take approximately ¼ cup of mixture and shape into patties. Place on baking tray.
Bake for 40 minutes, gently turning patties half way through cooking.
2. BEEF WITH BROCCOLI & CARROTS
- 450g beef strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large carrots, cut into fine sticks
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- Rice to serve
Season the steak with salt and ground black pepper and toss together with the sherry. Cover and leave to marinate for 5 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet and fry the onion for a few minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and carrots for 2 minutes until softened slightly.
Stir in the beef, sherry and broccoli and stir-fry for 3 minutes turns brown and the broccoli is becoming tender.
Pour over the oyster sauce, cook for 1-2 minutes and serve immediately with boiled rice.
3. SILVERBEET & SWEET POTATO STEW
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch silverbeet, bottoms of stems removed and chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Sautee the onion and garlic in a large pot until the onion is soft. Add the sweet potato, silverbeet and chickpeas. Pour the stock and soy sauce over the vegetables, sprinkle the cumin on and add just enough water so that the mixture is not floating but so that the complete bottom of the pot has moisture. Put a lid on and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes until the silverbeet is cooked through and the sweet potato is soft. The stock should thicken with a little bit remaining in bottom.
Serve over rice or noodles. You can add chicken strips as well.
4. PUMPKIN & SWEET CORN SOUP
- 2 corn cobs
- 300g pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 tablespoons cream
Slice the kernels of corn off the cob. Simmer the cobs and pumpkin in the stock for 10 minutes and then remove the cobs. Then add the corn kernels and cook until done. Add curry powder to taste and add salt and pepper and cream. Blitz using an immersion or stick blender.
5. STEAMED BROCCOLI SALAD
- 2 broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dukkah
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup filtered water
Steam broccoli as per your usual method for 4-5 minutes so that the broccoli remains slightly crispy.
Whilst broccoli is cooking, prepare the dressing by placing all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth.
Once broccoli is finished, transfer into a bowl and add the other ingredients. Dress the salad with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing just prior to serving.