FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. TUSCAN BEAN SOUP
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 700g green cabbage, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
Melt butter with oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Add cabbage and cook 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add stock, tomatoes, beans, ham bone, basil or pesto, salt and pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings.
2. GREEK STYLE BEANS & SQUASH
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 500g fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes,
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼cup chopped fresh mint, parsley or dill
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a wide, covered skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender and translucent, five to eight minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute until fragrant. Stir in the green beans, squash and remaining oil. Stir together for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then add salt and freshly ground pepper.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes until the beans are tender and the mixture is stew-like. Add the herbs, and simmer for another five to 10 minutes. Add lemon juice if desired. Taste, and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
You can add some chicken thighs whilst cooking as well.
3. ONE POT CHICKEN & POTATO
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup fresh basil
Season your chicken steaks with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook the chicken steaks until they are browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Heat the remaining olive oil. Add your brown onion and sauté for 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and mix for 1 minute. Gently pour in the tomatoes and stock and then add the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir well so that it is all combined.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and then add the potatoes and return the chicken. Place a lid on the saucepan so that is ajar and cook for 30-40 minutes until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
Stir through the fresh basil just before serving.
Serve with rice or steamed veg
4. DAHL WITH SPINACH
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked 30 minutes and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or 1 fresh chilli deseeded and chopped
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 3 cups stock or water
- 3 handfuls spinach leaves
Gently fry onion in oil until soft. Add garlic, ginger and spices and stir until fragrant and mustard seeds pop. Add the lentils and coat in spice mix, then add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Cook covered, stirring occasionally for about 40 minutes or until Dahl is thick and soupy. Remove lid towards the end of cooking if you prefer a thicker Dahl. Stir through spinach and coriander just before serving.
Delicious on its own or served with brown rice or quinoa.
5. HERBED POTATO & YELLOW SQUASH BAKE
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 potatoes, peeled, cut into 0.5cm thick rounds
- 3 yellow squash, cut into 0.5cm thick rounds
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Butter a 20cm pan. Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Layer potatoes in the in bottom of the prepared pan, overlapping slightly then layer with the squash. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle some of cheese mixture. Repeat procedure until you have used all the vegetables and cheese mixture.
Cover pan with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until it begins to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer.