FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. LEEK & SPINACH FRITTATA
- 8 whole eggs (or 2 whole eggs and 10 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup fresh steamed spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- seasoning to taste
Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees
Warm the butter in a saucepan on medium heat, add the sliced leeks and saute until they begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk with your seasonings.
Squeeze as much water as possible out of the steamed spinach, give it a rough chop and squeeze again.
Distribute the leeks in the pan, as this will be your frittata base. Turn the heat back to medium and por the egg mixture on top. Scatter the chopped spinach and the shredded cheese and allow the mix to sit for a minute. Use a spatula to lift up the sides.
Put the pan on the top rack in the oven and allow to cook for 8 minutes. It should be set, but have a little give in the middle. Let it cool a little before serving.
2. SPANISH TORTILLA
- 200g potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grated tasty cheese (optional)
Prepare your potatoes, patting them dry and setting them aside.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
Heat a pan on the stove with olive oil and add the onions, sautéing for a couple of minutes. Add the thinly sliced potato so that it covers the base of the pan. Allow the potato to brown, approximately 5-8 minutes then gently flip them over and allow them to brown on the other side.
Whilst potatoes are cooking, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings. Add the egg mixture to the potatoes, ensuring that the all the potatoes are covered. As the eggs start to cook, lift the mixture from the sides so that all the egg gets to cook.
Sprinkle the cheese on top if you desire.
Transfer the pan into the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until the egg is cooked through and the cheese starts to melt.
3. MOROCCAN CAULIFLOWER RICE
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, roasted
Heat oven to 180 degrees and prepare a tray with parchment paper.
Pulse the cauliflower in batches to resemble rice.
Mix your cumin, coriander, cinnamon and salt. Add this to the cauliflower and mix well.
Spread the cauliflower on the tray.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes - tossing every so often.
Remove the cauliflower, add the parsley and slivered almonds.
Perfect accompaniment to any fish, salmon or chicken dish.
4. WARM ROAST ROOT VEGETABLE & CHICKEN SALAD
- 1 barbeque chicken, shredded
- 3 large beetroot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- seasonings to taste
- 1/4 cut olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 eschalot, finely chopped
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
Place your vegetables in a roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil and seasonings. Roast for 45-60 minutes until nice and crispy.
Prepare your dressing by whisking all ingredients in a jar.
Remove from the oven. Add the shredded chicken.
Evenly distribute the vegetables and chicken and drizzle with the dressing.
5. TUSCAN BEAN SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced and washed
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tins beans (can be Cannellini, Borlotti, Kidney), rinsed and drained
- 4-5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 100g, spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil on medium heat and add leek and onion, sautéing for 5 minutes. Add garlic for a further 1-2 minutes.
Add carrot, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, stock, paprika and herbs. Bring to the boil and then simmer for approximately 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
6. KOHLRABI SALAD (For VEG-ONLY BOXES)
- 2 kohlrabi -cut into matchsticks , or grated in a food processor
- ½ cup chopped coriander ( one small bunch)
- ¼ cup chopped spring onion
- orange zest from one orange
- lime zest from one lime
Citrus Honey Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice ( juice form one orange)
- ⅛ cup lime juice plus 1 Tablespoon ( juice from one large lime)
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Trim and peel kohlrabi. Cut off two ends. Cut in half from top to bottom. Thinly slice, rotate and slice again, making ¼ inch matchsticks.
Place in large bowl with chopped coriander, spring onion, lime zest and orange zest.
Whisk dressing together in a small bowl. Toss with salad. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with zest and spring onion. This tastes great the next day too.