FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. ONE PAN MEXICAN QUINOA
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels, (steam corn and remove kernels from husk)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
To add extra protein, you can brown some diced chicken prior to sautéing the garlic jalapeno.
2. BAKED EGGS WITH SILVERBEET
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 chili, halved, deseeded and finely diced
- 5 teaspoons sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup silverbeet, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, cubed
- 4 to 6 eggs
In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chili, salt, pepper, and spices. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and vinegar and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir in the greens.
Turn off the heat and press the feta cubes into the sauce. With the back of the spoon, make 6 indentations in the sauce. Crack an egg into each indentation, then drag a spatula gently through the egg white so that it mixes a little with the sauce.
Turn the heat back on so the sauce is at a gentle simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, taking some of the tomato sauce and basting the egg whites from time to time. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
3. LAMB WITH CARROT & POTATO MASH
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 300g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2 lamb backstraps
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Place potatoes and carrots into a saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return to pan. Mash until almost smooth. Add milk. Continue mashing until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a barbecue grill on medium-high heat. Brush both sides of lamb with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium. Transfer to a plate. Cover. Stand for 5 minutes. Slice.
4. BUTTER BEAN CHICKEN
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets - cubed
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- small handful chopped fresh basil
- 400g butter beans, trimmed and steamed
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, then add chicken and cook until no longer pink.
Stir in tomatoes and basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes. Finally, stir in steamed beans and serve.
5. BAKED SALMON WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or 2 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
Place the salmon in a lightly greased baking dish.
Heat butter in skillet and add mushrooms and spring onions. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the flour, parsley and salt. Add the milk and bring to a boil.
Cook and stir until thick, then add wine (or water with the lemon juice).
Boil one minute, then pour sauce over salmon.
Bake at 180° for 20 to 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily.