FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. EASY CHICKEN SALAD
- 5 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
In medium mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery and spring onions. Stir in the lemon juice and pepper.
Combine the mayo and prepared mustard. Add this sauce to chicken and mix gently but well.
Keep refrigerated until required. Delicious in sandwiches, wraps or on its own.
2. BEEF & SWEET POTATO STEW
- 500g boneless chuck or stew beef, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 peeled sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1/2 cup large diced carrot chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
Season the beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Brown beef in the oil, stirring to brown all sides.
In a large slow cooker, combine beef, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, onion, and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until beef is tender.
Note/ If you don't have a slow cooker, allow the stew to simmer on the stove over medium-high for 60-75 minutes or until beef is tender.
Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf prior to eating
3. ROASTED GREEN BEANS & CHERRY TOMATOES
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Heat the oven to 200 degrees with an empty baking sheet on an upper rack.
Coat beans and tomatoes with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Pour the beans and tomatoes on the hot baking sheet and roast 22 to 25 minutes until caramelized. Serve as a side.
4. SPINACH, CARROT & LENTIL SOUP
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cups of carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1L of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 4 cups of spinach, chopped
- 1 can of lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a stockpot on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the broth, water, spinach lentils, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer.
Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft, but not mushy.
5. MOROCCAN CHERMOULA FISH WITH CELERY
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 green chilli, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 x 150-200gm firm white fish fillets
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 4 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- sea salt
Preheat oven to 180C. Place the garlic, chilli, cumin, paprika, coriander, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil in a blender or food processor and combine until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Toss the fillets in half the paste and reserve the other half to spread on top of the fillets.
Put chopped tomatoes into baking dish, put roughly chopped celery on top followed by fish fillets. Spread paste on fillets, season with salt and cover with foil.
Bake in oven for approximately 20-30 mins or until the fish is tender.