FIVE EASY FARM BOX DISHES YOU CAN MAKE THIS WEEK
This meal plan was curated in collaboration with Holistic Life Coach/ Personal Trainer Keren Slutzkin from Vital Assurance.
1. OVEN-ROASTED FISH AND MUSHROOMS
- 100g mushrooms, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves plus 4 whole sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 firm white-fleshed fish fillets
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- squeeze fresh lemon
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Toss the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of oil and the thyme leaves; season with salt and pepper. Transfer onto a baking sheet and roast until mushrooms are lightly browned, 15 minutes.
Rub fish with some olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange fish over the mushrooms and top with thyme sprigs. Roast until the fish is cooked throughout, 10 to 12 minutes. Toss the parsley with lemon juice and a little oil; season with salt and pepper.
Serve the fish and mushrooms with the parsley and extra lemon if you desire.
2. TANDOORI SPICED CHICKEN WITH CUCUMBER RAITA
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 small fresh red or green chile
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup natural Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, desseded and grated
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Mince garlic with salt and mash to a paste. Mince chilli (including seeds for a spicier paste) and in a bowl stir together with garlic paste and remaining spice paste ingredients. This can be done in a food processor.
Make 3 diagonal cuts in each chicken breast and rub spice paste into cuts and all over chicken. Marinate chicken, covered, 30 minutes at cool room temperature.
Preheat oven grill to 180 degrees and line a pan with foil.
Arrange chicken without crowding in the pan. Brush chicken with the 1 teaspoon of the oil and grill for 8 minutes. Turn chicken over and brush with remaining teaspoon of oil. Grill chicken until lightly browned and just cooked through, about 6 minutes more. Cooking times may need to be adjusted.
To make the Raita heat the oil in a small frying pan over low heat. Add the garlic, chilli and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
Place the cucumber in a clean tea towel and squeeze out any excess liquid. Place the cucumber in a medium bowl with the mint, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine and top with the cooled oil mixture to serve.
Serve the Raita with the chicken.
3. SESAME GLAZED SALMON & GREEN BEANS
- 2 salmon fillets, skinless
- 200g green beans, top and tailed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch)
In a small bowl combine the soy, water, mirin, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds and arrowroot. Stir until it is all mixed well and dissolved.
Let the salmon marinate in half of the mixture for 15 minutes. Save the remaining mixture for later.
While the salmon is marinating, steam your green beans, then drain and set aside.
Prepare your salmon by heating a non-stick skillet on a medium-low flame. Once hot, add the salmon pieces and cook on each side until the glaze turns deep brown and the fish is cooked through (about 5 minutes on each side). Remove the cooked salmon to a clean plate.
Add the green beans to the skillet along with the remaining unused marinade. Saute the green beans in the marinade until it thickens to a shiny glaze and completely coats the green beans (about 3 minutes). Serve the fish on top of the glazed green beans.
4. ZUCCHINI & BEETROOT SALAD
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 2 cups grated beetroot
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients to make the lemon vinaigrette. Combine the grated zucchini and beetroot with the pine nuts and currents in a bowl and toss well.
Let set for 20 mins to marinate at room temperature.
5. SWEET POTATO SALAD
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
Cook sweet potato in a large saucepan of slted boiling water for 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Place on a tray in a single layer to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into 2cm pieces. Place in a large serving bowl and set aside.
Whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard and garlic in a jug. Pour over the sweet potato. Add the parsley and shallot. Toss to combine.
Absolutely delicious with bbq'd meat.